Sunday, October 5, 2008

Observing Past Lives and Lowlifes

Ever get the feeling you've lived many lives? Not in a Shirley MacLaine infomercial way and not to sound kooky, but I miss one of the old lives I once had. The life where I had the freedom to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. One day I shall regain this elusive bastard and make it mine again. I want every day to be like a Leonard Cohen song, where I have artists,musicians, and passionate people around telling me of their secrets and their desires for their craft. Wine and other spirits will flow and there will be clouds of smoke carrying the dreams and conversations from one person to the next. I want to cover the floor with items that inspire me. Photos, feathers, and whatever the hell I feel like adding to the mix at any given time, sticking to my bare ink-stained feet as I dance about to whatever music is in my heart and soul.

I love you Leonard Cohen and your lyrics touch a hardcore thing in me!
Suzanne - Leonard Cohen



The image is a sculpture by Louise Bourgeois and fits perfectly with the next song. Marianne Faithfull is another performer, whose voice I love. This one is one of those Stones/Faithfull songs that she does so, so much better. Don't believe me? Then listen for yourself:
Sister Morphine - Marianne Faithfull

Any fans of The Slits? I love The Slits more than I can explain and I adore New Age Steppers, which featured Ari Up , Neneh Cherry, and various other Slits members. The Steppers were produced by Adrian Sherwood on his On U Sound label, which is one of my favorites for dub, etc. Feel it!
Observe Life - New Age Steppers

Speaking of Ari Up, her stepfather John Lydon has a new commercial! You like?

1 comment:

Kaye Telle said...

#1 most disappointing fan meeting: Ari Up :/