Sunday, November 8, 2009

Darkness Falls Like A Black Leather Jacket...

As a teen I was not a goth, I was just... dark. I've always been into the darker side of art, music, film, and culture in general; however, I do love me some glam and glitter. Luckily, I never did the whole "wee, I'm a vampire" bit, although I can remember cutting myself just so I could write notes for my mom to find, because obviously ink was not dramatic enough for the occasion. An outsider even among the outsiders, who were actually popular insiders?

Deborah Harry sums it up pretty well on "End of The Run"
Darkness falls like a black leather jacket and melts into the sidewalk like a sleeping drunk.
In the streets, the wind throws yesterday's headlines around.
Another night comes and goes.

So, for awhile back then there was someplace to go.
Somewhere more home than a house.
A family of choice, not an accident, but sometimes as soon as something gets started it's over.


I think we all had someplace to go where we felt something and/or anything.
Creating demented black and white drawings and daydreaming were big chunks of my life in between the dreaded school, where they force you to interact with people you have no desire to be sealed up with all day, not to mention "art" teachers who know absolutely nothing about the subject. Dressing up and going to see midnight movies like The Hunger or catching matinees like Nico Icon were many times the highlight of my weekends and John Waters and Dark Shadows are saviours. Damned, I always find myself falling in love with dark images and voices.

I got the album by SOAP&SKIN last year and did not give it the time it deserves, so shame on me, because it is fucking excellent. This video caught me by the ears because I love the rawness of it compared to the album version and by the peepers because for some odd reason, she resembles Thelma from Hex...

Soap & Skin - "Spiracle"


As soon as I heard Zola Jesus I was hooked, so see kids...it only takes one time and you can become an addict! Her voice just blows me away and this video is gorgeous and gritty and it gives me hope because no matter how much shit music they try to force-feed the masses, people like this exist, so support them.

Zola Jesus "Clay Bodies"

No comments: